This was an Australian survey done on the reasons why people don’t go to church. I’m sure the folks Down Under are pretty much like us – so the results of the survey would probably come close to what people here would say.
- 42% said church was boring or unfulfilling. Oh gosh – don’t get me started on that boring crap again. And unfulfilling? Sounds very ‘me’ focused. Sure, we want to get something out of church – but we can also give and fulfill others.
- 35% said they don’t go because of the beliefs of the church. I’m not sure if this is geared toward a specific denomination or the church in general. Maybe some just assume things without really knowing.
- 35% said the church’s moral views keep them out of church. I wish the survey got more specific as to what views – do they object to specific moral views or the fact that they have moral views in the first place?
- 35% said they have no need to. Even though God is everywhere and we can connect with him anywhere at any time – we are called to gather together and be a community.
- 31% prefer to do other things.
- 27% said the beliefs were too weak. That’s funny to me because I began going to our church as an atheist, so you can’t get much weaker than that.
- 24% said they don’t like the way churches are organized.
- 21% said other commitments. In the last few years youth sports have begun soccer leagues, basketball tournaments, etc. on Sundays. Now that wouldn’t fly if people just refused to participate, but we go along because we’re a society that worships sports and we think our kids can’t have a normal childhood without playing sports.
- 16% said they don’t go to church because of a bad experience with church people. Ummm…yeah! What do they expect? Church people suffer from the same sin condition as anyone else. Get over it.
- 15% said not enough time because of work. True – there are a lot of jobs that require working on Sundays, but come when you can – lots of churches have Sunday night and Wednesday night church.
Check out more about why people don’t go to church at http://www.signsofthetimes.org.au/items/why-people-dont-go-to-church
“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.” ~Colossians 3:16